Fall Classes Run September 30 - December 6, 2020.
Through the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation in conjunction with Total Control Motorcyclist Training Courses, Z&M Harley-Davidson is proud to be an official Learn to Ride PA center!
BEGINNER RIDING CLINIC
The Total Control Beginner Riding Clinic (Total Control BRC®) is designed for the novice rider with no (or limited) street-riding experience. This course includes both classroom and on-cycle instruction. You will learn fundamental skills required to operate the motorcycle and progress to street riding skills and strategies.
Topics covered include fear, understanding how motorcycles turn, proper cornering strategies, and emergency crash avoidance skills. The course is based on the most current research in rider safety and utilizes modern training methods and uses criteria set forth in the Model National Standards for Entry-Level Motorcycle Rider Training by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHSTA).
Though designed for new riders, any rider that has not taken a motorcycle course will benefit from this clinic. Motorcycles and helmets are provided in this course. Prerequisites include the ability to ride and balance a bicycle.
Students passing the written and skill evaluation at the end of the course receive a completion card and earn their motorcycle license-waiving the on-cycle skills test at the local Driver License Center (DLC).
LEARNER'S PERMIT REQUIRED
Follow these links to obtain your learner's permit This is required before you may attend the training.
Application for a Motorcycle Learner's Permit (DL-5) (PDF) and the Pennsylvania Motorcycle Operator's Manual (PDF).
RIDING GEAR REQUIRED
Students participating in a Pennsylvania Motorcycle Safety Program training course must wear the appropriate riding gear outlined below.
- Helmet: Full-face and 3/4 helmets are acceptable provided they meet minimum DOT certification. Personal helmets are subject to inspection for the DOT certification and that they are in good working condition. If you do not have access to a DOT-certified, full-face or 3/4 helmet, sites will have one to borrow for the course.
- Eye protection: Face shield, goggles, or some form of sunglasses or eyeglasses. They may be tinted or clear. Ordinary prescription glasses may be worn.
- Full-fingered gloves: Closed-back with no holes in them. They must be street-motorcycle specific and/or durable leather. Mechanics gloves, batting gloves, etc. are NOT acceptable.
- Pants: You must wear pants! No exceptions. Denim or leather jeans are preferred. All pants are required to have NO holes in them and must come down to the foot. Spandex or cotton leggings are NOT acceptable.
- Shirt: Long-sleeve T-shirt or dress shirt that reaches the wrist or jacket are all acceptable.
- Shoes/Boots: Over the ankle with little to no heel. Shoes can be an athletic or hiking shoe that provides reinforced ankle support. Boots are preferred. Your footwear should have a good rubber sole for traction and the heel shouldn't be higher than what is commonly on a "workman's boot." Thin fabric shoes made of canvas or other fabrics that do not provide support are not acceptable.
- The classic Converse All Star "Chuck Taylor" or dress shoe are examples of shoes that DO NOT meet the requirements.
CLASS DAY & TIMES
Classes are either Wednesday and Saturday or Thursday and Sunday. Each session is 8 hours per week for 2 weeks, a total of 16 hours.
Classroom instruction at Z&M Harley-Davidson will be conducted on Wednesday & Thursday nights from 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm. Weather permitting all instruction will be conducted outdoors. Instruction will be moved indoors during inclement weather.
Riding instruction will be conducted Saturday and Sunday. Each weekend day will have a morning and afternoon session. The morning session is scheduled for 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM. The afternoon session will be 1:30 PM - 6:30 PM. Riding Instruction will be conducted in the north side of the parking lot.
The 4 day, 16 hour course is free.
To register for the free beginner riding clinic please visit LEARNTORIDEPA.COM and select Z&M Harley-Davidson from the course location map. Walk-ups are welcome in the event a student does not show however, your seat is not guaranteed unless you pre-register by following the instructions above.
ABOUT Z&M HARLEY-DAVIDSON
Weather permitting, all instruction will be conducted outdoors. Z&M provides a shaded pavilion for classroom instruction. If weather is not conducive to outdoor instruction, class will be held inside the dealership. Z&M closes at 7:00 PM during the week however class will continue until 8:00 PM. Restroom facilities as well as drink and snack vending machines are available in the customer lounge near the restrooms. Z&M is closed on Sundays. Portable toilets will be available outside.
Z&M Harley-Davidson is a full service motorcycle dealership and retail center. We stock thousands of products like DOT Approved Helmets, Riding Gloves, Riding Jackets, Footwear, Eyewear, Clothing, Bandanas, Licensed Housewares, Wallets & Purses, Belts, and more! Our MotorClothes experts are eager to assist you with the proper fitment of safety equipment and riding gear!